Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Seat platform

When I detached the seat platform in december I was worried if it would be bent and never go back again. I made a couple of test fits and realized that there was no reason for worries. The seat platform is made of thick metal and can take some heavy hammering without complaints. The flanges needed to be straightened a little. I suggest straigtening on the garace floor before final fitting. Once the hammering was done, I marked the places for plug welds (about 50) and draw the outline to the floor pans, then grinded the metal clear to achieve good adhesion for the welds.

The accessories needed are a couple of carpenter's screw clamps and a hammer, two 50mm bolts to line and hold against the propeller tunnel and two longer ones for pulling against floorpans. I enjoyed welding this one. Thick and clear metal, high amperes, enough room to work and so on. I added some seam welds here and there to ensure that the platform sits tight.

After an hour of welding I felt so trustful of my progress in cherishing this 44-year-old lady that I deciced to open the passenger "door". I think this unibody does not have the risk of sagging any more.

Look, mom, no braces !
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment