Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Some history in between

Every now and then I've e-mailed to "Tom", the latest owner of Destiny in Massachusetts to whom I got the contact through a detailed receipt of an antique radio repair shop. Tom's story of the history goes like this.

The car has been in a storage from 1985 until 1995 when someone whose name Tom could not recall purchased it. The guy sold the car to Tom in April 1996. At that time the car was red already.
Soon after Tom purchased the car  he replaced the shocks (rear only), tires and exhaust system. He also had to replace the exhaust manifold in 2005.  According to Tom, the engine and transmission have never been opened.

So it seems like the owner who had the car from '95 to '96 was the guy who performed the DIY restoration with rivets and bondo.

When I got the car in 2007 it had Goodyear Spectra M+S 195-75/14 tires with 1" white stripes. I wonder if these are the tires Tom bought fourteen years ago. They still are in good condition. This makes me think that Tom did not drive too many miles with Destiny.

But now it seems like this information well has dried out and if I want to solve the mystery of a first owner I'll have to turn to the authorities. Maybe they would be able to help with the first 20 years.

There are a couple of application forms to be filled. The request for personal information is needed for Title history search. The thing is that the request only costs $5 but can only be paid with a check, which I do not use. I e-mailed the Massachusetts RMV department and suggested the payment in advance with my credit card and here's what they replied:

"You can not pay for a title history search with a credit card by mail."

Awesome ! I almost thought I could. If anyone has good ideas how to obtain that history search, please contact. Maybe I'll have to attach a five dollar bill and see what happens.

The rumours in town tell me that Destiny might have gotten a coat of red today, so I have to go now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ripa, can you go to your bank and ask them to draw down a bank issued check. It will probably cost you 20 to get a 5 dollar check but hey ;)

    That was unfortunate about your paint job but overall it does look pretty good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that's what I'll have to do. Paying 25 for stuff worth 5 is nothing new to me. Will have to claim myself being federal agent too. I got the car back from paint shop. Blog update is on her way.

    ReplyDelete