Saturday, December 27, 2008

Torque boxes and inner rockers

The inner side of outer rocker panel was in good condition. It has been covered with zinc in the factory. I ground the small amount of rust and painted it as well as I painted the rest of the parts which would be covered when the new parts would be installed. The lower part of the rear torque box needed some patching but I decided to do it later after the inner rocker is installed.

Frame rails have been protected with paint.

The new parts looked great, but they did not fit exactly. The problem seemed to be that the inner rocker was about 1 cm wider than the original. Therefore it lined too high in the door jamb. I resolved the problem by bending the front torque box a little lower on the outer side. The inner side could then be hammered down to make it fit with the frame rail. Now the extra width was distributed evenly to the upper and lower area. I could be ground without having to weaken the spot welds.

Front torque box is installed and welded with spot welds
to inner rocker and seam-welded to the frame rail.
The side cowl panel and firewall still need some fixing.

As the inner rocker was in it's place I started welding it in the rear part of the car to attach it to the rear torque box. I had ordered new torque box covers but they are designed for coupes and fastbacks which do not have inner rockers. It almost ruined my christmas holiday once I realized that the part doesn't fit. After checking the I had correct parts I calmed down as I believed that there are no parts available for convertibles. So, they needed some modification to make them fit.

The modified rear torque box cover is being fitted

I spotwelded the cover to lower part of the torque box as well as to the inner rocker and rear frame rail. The leaf spring bracket was also welded to inner rocker. Now I could feel that the body (of the car ) was getting stronger again.

The lower right corner of torque box cover needs to be hand-made

I removed the rest of the of rusted parts to make room for fitting the new floor pans.

The floor has vanished. Not much left of the original

Floor pan under the rear seat was removed so that the new long floor pan can be fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment