Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Starter Motor

The other day, as we were driving in Helsinki to participate the Cruising night at Helsinki Market Square we got jammed in traffic for a while. Suddenly Destiny's engine died, exactly here. When I tried to crank it, only a slight klick was heard from the starter motor. OK, my friend has 550 hp in his '67 Fastback so, thus the fact that his car remained in his garage,  he qualified for pushing Destiny off the street. First we thought that the starter only had overheated and therefore wouldn't like to co-operate, but after waiting for it to cool down no change was seen. I remembered that the power connector on the starter had not been in the best shape so when the power cord was slightly touched when turning the key, Destiny fired-up again.

I somehow get nervous if my car stops in the middle of the city. I checked what USParts had in stock and found that they had a re-manufactured starter waiting for me. As a member of FMOC, I was able to obtain it the following Monday 9:00 AM for 95 EUR. It's unbelievable how easy and affordable it turned out once again.

The connector of the starter on the left is hurt

After having checked that what I had (C5 AF-11131-A) was similar to what I had gotten (D1 AF-11001-AA) and as they very much resembled each other the newer one was installed and the engine was cranked. Started nicely.

Ford has made some improvements to the structure during the  years

The test drive was carried out next day to Mobilist Event in Vääksy. A couple of shots of Mustangs from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment