Thursday, January 10, 2013

Back Seat

When assembling the interior almost three years ago, I installed the seats back in without making improvements as the covers of the seats were in good condition and I was in hurry to get the car on the road. After reading Alex's post of the seat renovation, I finally decided it was time to move ahead in Destiny's To-Do List. The back seat surely is a good place to have sex, especially if you and your partner are mice, as I think the following pictures will prove.

Back part removed

Hog rings cut and seat cover removed


Removing the thin foam

OMG !
There was nothing to be saved of the original cushions and other cloth. I saved the removed parts a while to take measures and pictures. Cleaning the frames thoroughly is a mission impossible unless you can have them sand-blasted. I cleaned as much as I could, then applied some rust-encapsulator and paint.

Rust cleaned and capsulated

Burlap-and-wire was lost so burlap-with-plastic-wire introduced.
I sewed the edges myself !


Some padding to the edges.


30mm of foam followed by two layers of cotton padding

Seat cover hog ringed
 

Tag plate reinstalled

Ready !

Then the same series of events for the seat part. This was, predictably, in even lousier condition. The stuff was dumped in waste bag as soon as it was detached from the frame.


The rear seat upside down

I was hard to see where evereything was attachd as it cracked up instantly.
Here the paper covered listing wires.
Madam, please have a seat !



Cleaned !
I sewed pockets with wire to the burlap and ringed it to the frame.
Listing on both sides of the center

I cut slits to the foam to be able to squeeze hog rings...

...which connect the cover to the listings.
Pay attention to the longitudinal position before hog ringing this. I had to re-do.
The wired edges of the cover didn't make it. I had to pull the cover one more time. My friend did the sewing with nice black leather she had and helped me to install the cover.





The front seats might need similar treatment, but for that I need to order new cushions from NPD, maybe that has to wait until next time or until I will remove them for adding sound insulation under the carpet.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome work! I'm following Alex's blog too on my how to do things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James! Follow Risto on this one though. I think he did a better job.

      Delete
  2. Those look great Risto! I like your methodology better. I think you did it more correct with more attention to detail than I. Excellent outcome. I LOL'd at "The back seat surely is a good place to have sex, especially if you and your partner are mice". Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I'm flattered. I'll have to try to finish my Part III on the top replacement so that you can avoid the mistakes I did with it. I suppose that's the last remaining stage in your project.

      Delete
    2. Yes! In fact, I'm about to go out and strip the old top off today.

      Delete
    3. Alex, check this one! http://65pony.blogspot.fi/2012/03/convertible-top-replacement-part-iii.html

      Delete