Saturday, January 23, 2010

Date Code 23A

Destiny's Date Code on the door data plate is 23A meaning it was supposed to roll out of the factory on Saturday 23rd January 1965. No-one knows if it did, but I spent her 45th Anniversary today. During the passed week I spent a couple of evenings sanding the epoxy primer gray. Then I applied seam sealer to each and every seam I could imagine would benefit of it.



It took two tubes of Dinitrol seam sealer which was brushed smooth after being squeezed out of the tube.


I decided to spray one more coat of primer. This time I spent some time to figure out the correct and the most efficient way to penetrate the primer into every gap. I managed fine as I started from the most difficult areas like the bottom of the trunk drop-off and the gap between wheel well and quarter panel behind the trunk lid hinges. In order to be sure hand-brushing some primer prior to spraying might be wise.


But I managed fine. Now you can hardly find a spot which would not be covered with primer or paint. I've decided the color for Destiny. She'll become Zinnoberrot 138 ( cinnabar red, that is ), which can be found from BMW's color scheme.


So, after admiring her for two days like this, I grabbed my sanding papers again and got her gray again. Had I been wise, would I have applied the last coat with red epoxy primer. In the next episode we'll see if Zinnoberrot 138 will beat the black-gray primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment