Monday, December 28, 2009

The hood alignment

Now the engine is installed as well as Holley 1940 1V-carburetor which to my knowledge is not the one which was installed in the factory back in 1965. Instead it is a replacement type of carburetor that Ford apparently ordered from Holley as the original Autolite 1100 showed up to be more or less unfaithful.

The driver side front fender, door and quarter panel had some lead melted over the seams. Because the fender was there and I needed some more room to my carage as well as somenthing to cover the engine, I decided to install the hood. First thing to do is to bolt the hinges into the fenders. No need to torque them too tight at this point...

...because you have to unscrew them many, many times before the hood lines up nicely. I studied the internet for good advice for aligning these parts but it seems that trial and error is the only available instruction for this job. My hint is: if the rear end of the hood is too high, release the screws and lift the hinges up from the front end. This allows the rear end of hinge to go lower.



Ok. Destiny can be recognized as a Mustang now but what surprises me is the ride height which still is too high. There is not much weight to come to the front anymore. Someone said that sandblasting the springs is about the same as forging them. Might be true. Anyway, after a short mechanical period, I'll have to get back to my grinding equipment and sanding paper before the final primer shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment